My homeplace, the home where I grew up, is one of my favorite things to talk about! I love talking about the HOLCOMBE Homeplace in Bremen,Georgia. It was built in 1906 and it is full of memories. I was 6 months old when I came to live there with my family. We had moved down from New Jersey where all of us girls were born. Our father was transferred to Atlanta. Since our mother's mom was in her 70's and needed someone to share her large house with, we Broach's moved in with her. I lived there for 12 years. The house had lightening rods on the roof, the windows would rattle when thunder struck the house! I always thought the house was HUGE, but it was only 3,132 square feet. The house had lots of sounds and cracks in the plaster and you could see previous colors of wall paint from the peeling. It had all wood floors inside, one bathroom, 4 fireplaces that has beautiful tiles imported. The mantels of the fireplaces are exquisite. I've attached pictures of the house and inside shots. It is for sale now and the real estate advertisement had these shots posted. Of course the rooms have all been painted, remodeled, a/c, a upstairs living loft area built and a swimming pool. It sure was a fun house to play in and grow up in. The long wrap around porch is still painted grey and my grandmother used to hand paint that porch every so often by hand with a paint brush. I remember her doing it and not being able to walk on part of the porch until it dried. The right side of the wrap porch always had a handing swing that was my favorite thing to do. Swing and Sing. My grandmother's bedroom window was just on the wall side of the swing, I used to talk with her from the swing through her open window! What fond memories of " this old house". Enjoy. Leave me a comment what you think about my old homeplace!
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I am in love with this home!
What a pretty house! Does it make you sad it's for sale? The house mom grew up in was for sale when they were looking for a house in Columbia. She refused to go look at it because she knew if she did, she would buy it. It's too small for them now. Love, Chappell
Kay, your childhood home is beautiful and your memories are heartwarming. Thank you for sharing! Patti
Post a Comment